Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Here we go again (the beginning of a new series)

My first blog post of the new year, congrats to me. Happy New Year to the general internet public. Hope it's going well so far. My new blog goal for the next few months is to inform everyone of my thoughts on the purpose of higher education. If you read the cute little "about me" post somewhere to the right side of your screen, you will see that I am currently studying higher education. I am also very interested in education. Therefore, my interest in the purpose of this institution. Spurred by a short writing assignment in my new class (The History and Philosophy of Higher Education through the graduate program at Montana State University). So, I want to explore this topic in a short series over the next few months.

My questions/thoughts revolve around:

  • What is my personal philosophy or purpose of higher education?
  • What's the who, when, why and where of higher education in the U.S
  • Are there multiple purposes of higher education (yes), if so, what are they? Who do these purposes actually serve?
  • Has the purpose changed over time? What was the purpose when higher education institutions were first formed versus now?
I am sure I will think of more in the future. For now, what are your thoughts? What is the purpose of higher education in the U.S? If you truly begin to consider this question, you will see that the answer may be more complicated than one would first think!

Cheers and see you soon,

L


No comments:

Post a Comment